2018 Shad Season, Wading and Spey Casting






Feels great to be back home for the shad run! Flew in Saturday afternoon and wasted no time to scout the area and see how the fishing was with a friend after some sushi for lunch. We went out for 30 minutes and my friend wasted no time and taught me how bad I am with a spin rod haha. He caught a half dozen fish in no time while I struggled to hook 1.

This made me more excited to prep my gear for the following day since it was the shad derby. My game plan was to use my Sage Method switch rod and fish the fastest water I can find and can cast to. I work throughout the day, hooked over a dozen fish and landed 7 while filming some cool footage. This was a good day but was out performed by the fellow anglers with the spin rod that was able to cast 5-10' farther to where majority of the fish were swimming through. Regardless, it was great to be out and enjoying the outdoors while wading, spey casting and surrounded with people that share the same passion as I do.

Went and fished another spot today and it looked very fishy. Geared up and jumped in the water with the Sage X 6wt switch with the OPST commando head, swinging fly and small dart. Instantaneously hooked a nice fish towards the end of the drift. After a couple seconds of adrenaline, the fish came off. Strip, strip, strip, and set up the snap T cast and launched it into the fast running current. Again, another fish hit towards the end of the drift and same results - fish came off. I worked my casts for the 20 minutes and things started to change after I switched over to a heavier fly. Started to pick up more grabs and for the remainder of the evening, I picked up more fish. Overall, landed 5 and the fish seem to have a second energy reserve which I have not experienced before.


There are plenty of fishing running so get out there and experience it for yourself. If there is anything I can help you with, do not hesitate to reach out.


Cheers,
Sonny

www.fishingwithsonny.com
instagram: flyfishersonny
facebook: Fly Fishing for American Shad


Comments