My Experience of the OPST Commando Shooting Head

Testing the new 9.5'' 6wt fly rod and OPST 250gr -13.5' head

Update based on previous OPST shooting head blog post.

I was able to head out and test my new 9.5' 6wt fly rod, this is labeled a medium fast action according to the manufacturer. But I consider it a little more towards the fast action arena- just the way I like it. The 13.5' OPST 250gr shooting head was awkward casting at first but I had to warm up to it. With a short shooting heading, I had to keep my casting strokes shorter. The OPST head is made for single handed or two handed rods to overhead or spey cast. For overhead/spey casting I prefer to utilize the 1-1.5'' fighting butt on the rod as a lever. In my opinion, at least having a fighting butt will making casting the OPST more pleasant. 

Below are the configurations I tried and my feedback with the OPST testing during a windy day with a bead head and cone head wooly bugger.

Setup #1:
 35LB Lazer running line + OPST Head (13.5' length at 250gr) + 6' versileader (50gr) + 3' leader 
Approx. combined grain weight - 300gr
Approx. combined head length - 22.5'

Difficult setup to start out with due to the short combined head length. This setup produced an ugly presentation due to the short 3' leader.


Setup #2:
35LB Lazer running line + OPST Head (13.5' length at 250gr) + 10' sinktip (90gr) + 3' leader 
Approx. combined grain weight - 340gr
Approx. combined head length - 26.5'

This setup was more forgiving due to the longer head length, but the presentation wasn't what I was looking for due to the 3' leader.


Setup #3:
25LB Rio's Gripshooter +OPST Head (13.5' length at 250gr) + 7' sinktip (85gr) + 6' leader 
Approx. combined grain weight - 335gr
Approx. combined head length - 26.5'

This setup was better casting with the 6' leader. Presentation was not as nice compared to the Lazer running line.


Setup #4
35LB Lazer running line +OPST Head (13.5' length at 250gr) + 7' sinktip (85gr) + 6' leader 
Approx. combined grain weight - 335gr
Approx. combined head length - 26.5'

Best setup of the day. Casts unfolded nicely.


Additional notes: With all of these setups, I did not feel that my rod was overloaded at all. The 50' distance mark is reached without much effort. Moving forward, I will be most likely be replacing the fighting butt with a longer handle - potentially 3-4''. This will certainly make casting the OPST more enjoyable.

I will be fishing the OPST for this coming shad season. That's just says how much I recommend the product for swinging heavy flies with limited backroom.


Below are the links where you can purchase the OPST shooting head and running lines:

OPST Shooting Head: http://amzn.to/2xpnF6D

OPST Lazer Line running line: http://amzn.to/2y7Q7bO

Rio gripshooter running line: http://amzn.to/2y76fuB


Comments