Searching for Shad

Received a text from Ben B., a fellow angler and friend. He told me the shad bite was amazing. I could not help but join him later that evening. We hooked into many newly arrived fish. That is usually good news for us. Plenty of aggressive fish to be caught!

Two days later, I decided to fish in the morning a bit since new batches of fish were coming through. I got a call from Frank in the morning that he was in the area to do some fishing. We met and geared up to fish. Frank had his 10' 7wt setup and myself with my 9'9'' 6wt switch rod. About half an hour later, Ben joined us in the river with his 4wt switch rod. All three of us fished hard and covered a good stretch of the run. We all hooked into many shad that were very eager to swim up to their spawning grounds. The fishing was certainly very good. At one point, all of us had a fish on at the same time. 

Also, reported by a few anglers on the facebook group that they had a successful outing for their first time fly fishing for shad. You may not see many anglers out there but that does not mean the shad season is over. So get out there!

Comments